About me

I call myself a writer, sometimes.


31.3.14

"Take a sad song and make it better" - The Beatles





That was 8pm when my class just finished and the teacher next door started playing Hey Jude to her students as a listening practice. I was supposed to go home, I was supposed to hurry and do multiple works but don't know why at that moment I just stood there, stood there silently behind that door, totally lost myself into that great immersion... 

No it's not the first time, it's been a hundred times, maybe a thousand times for Hey Jude since the very first time that simple but encouraging song got my attention. How brilliant it is as what John Lennon stated in the song seems never get old: "You were made to, now go and get her... Remember to let her into your heart...and you can start to make it better". 

You asked me why I love The Beatles. They asked me why a 20 something girl like me could fall for such oldies. You were surprised and they were amazed. No dear, we are not the only one. There are souls out there who still sing, breath and simply learn from their wise wise words every day and every night, from both of their hits and the less well-known ones.

Thanks to their songs I saw simple true love. 

"Because the world is round, it turns me on.
Because the sky is blue, it makes me cry.
Because the wind is high...
Love is old, love is new
Love is all, love is you..." 
- Because

In their songs I saw human's souls, something simple but could never be easily predicted. 

"Something in the way she knows
And all I have to do is think of her
Don't want to leave her now
Don't want to leave her now 
....
She ask me if my love grows
I don't know... I don't know" 
-Something-

"I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me"
- Norwegian wood (This bird has flown) -


I once told you how The Beatles amazed me. There were around 40 songs of them in my Ipod and for every single time I randomly shuffled, it switched to the song that was closely related to my feeling at that time. Does it make sense to say that they have become the soundtracks of my life?

There was "A hard day's night" after 9 horrible hours constantly working on the lonely windy road back home:

"It's been a hard day's night.
And I've been working like a dog"

"Penny Lane", for an ordinary morning

And "Let it be" on that gloomy Friday morning, when I completely had no idea what to do, about us.

"And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me
Shine until tomorrow, let it be..."

Some of their songs were so cheerful and full of sunshine, full of hope.
"Here comes the sun
And I say: It's all right"
- Here comes the sun- 

Some couldn't be more depressing.

"The long and winding road
You left me waiting here
A long long time ago"
- A long and winding road-

Still I found sympathy, encouragement, and the strength to move on: 
"Dear Prudence, greet the brand new day.
The sun is up, the sky is blue.
It's beautiful and so are you
Dear Prudence, won't you let me see your smile?"
- Dear Prudence -

 Some people could only love them for their sad songs, some could only do for the happy-getting high ones, I simply fall for both. 

"I know I'll stop and think about them.
In my life I've loved them all"
- In my life -

And yes, no matter how bad life has treated me, how many up and downs I have to go through til the very end, somehow and somewhere I still find their words as bright as the sun, which guides me through the darkness. 

"One day you look to see I've gone
For tomorrow may rain so I'll follow the sun. 
- I'll follow the sun -

No comments:

Post a Comment